Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brandy is back with the new video for her first single, "Right Here (Departed)" from her 5th album, Human.


First of all WTF is that growing out of her face?

The video is so...interesting. The first time I watched it I hated it (of course) but on the second viewing, I would go as far as saying it's almost...art! I have to give her record label major props. Ever since the single leaked, her label has really been in damage control mode in hopes of restoring B-Rocka's good girl image. This is the icing on the cake for me. A video of Brandy hugging random people on the street (and her new single just happens to be playing in the background). It's almost as genius as it is hilarious!!

In all seriousness though, if you watch this video without thinking about some of Brandy's recent publicized incidents then the video probably looks like a cheap clusterfuck of nothingness. But when taking into account she just got loads of press for causing someone's death in a traffic accident, it seems like the video is supposed to have some sort of deeper symbolic meeting, or at least I hope.

The scene where a woman is standing by an SUV crying was almost a bit too much, but it still made me laugh. Was she crying because she was afraid Brandy was on the road, or was she crying because of Brandy's past activities on the road? Either way, Brandy makes it all better with a hug and a kiss on the forehead. That's deep! I guess that was her way of apologizing for her part in the accident and kissing away that $50 million lawsuit the family of the victim filed against her.

Then there's like the main story in the video where she is talking to this guy on the street who looks sad [and unusually dusty] and he's just crying like a punk. My initial thought was "Why are you hugging this nigga? Tell him to man up and to stop acting like a queen and grow some nuts." But then I remembered that most of Brandy's fans are gay men, so they probably would take offense to that. So yes Brandy, hug the sissies!! Work that good PR, girl.

Really, I think the video is kinda sweet. The single has actually grown on me, so I'm now interested in hearing more from this project.

No comments: